Monday, July 19, 2010

Final Comment

I have used facebook for personal use and for this course. I have found it full of time-consuming games (why would I want to collect cookies and coins?), suggestions that I might want to 'become friends' with strangers and adverts that never go away, they just replace it with another one! I may be discounted as not having an open mind or too old to understand - personally I think we need to be questioning why is Facebook useful rather than accepting that this is a way forward.
I like the idea that family and friends can share photo's if they are not able to see each other face to face but there is so much else on Facebook that I see as a complete waste of time. Reports in the newspapers and experience with people I know only show that it can be a very negative influence. As a librarian and a responsible adult I would be cautious about promoting Facebook. Snapfish is a website that is just as good if someone wants to share photo's.
If a customer wants to use it then I am able to guide them.
I have found some of the exercises useful and relevant to my position at the library, others have just been frustrating. I am always willing to learn but unless the lessons feel relevant, I have the time, and access to help, when I am working on the lessons, the experience is one that I do not want to readily repeat.

No comments: